Cherokee County Courthouse
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1979
Architect -
Photos: Robert Deering 4/23/2006
 
 
 
1867 Courthouse
Cherokee Nation Capitol
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1907 from the Tahlequah District in the Cherokee Nation.

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
The Cherokee Nation.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: An old Cherokee town named Talikwa or Tellico.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1867 and 1979

STANDING:
 Two -

  • The 1867 building was originally the Cherokee Nation Capitol.  It became the Cherokee County Courthouse in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state and served in that capacity until 1979 when a new courthouse was built.  The building was returned to the Cherokee Nation and now functions for the Cherokee court system and election board.  The structure originally had a central copula that was removed in 1928 following storm damage. 
  • Also standing is the 1979 Modern courthouse

ADDRESS:  213 W Deleware, Talequah, Oklahoma


 

1867 Cherokee Nation Capitol
Cherokee County Courthouse 1907 - 1979
Tahlequah, Oklahoma


 Completed - 1867
Architect -
Photos: Robert Deering 4/23/2006

ADDRESS:  101 S Muskogee Ave, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
 
         
         
 
           
   
 
1867 Capitol/Courthouse
Before Modifications