Washington State Capitol

Completed: 1928
Architect: Walter Wilder & Harry White

Photo: Robert Deering 6/9/2006

The Washington State Capitol is a campus comprised of several buildings on a hill overlooking Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountians. In 1911, architect Ernest Flagg first proposed the campus concept, and a national design competition for the campus was won by architects Walter R. Wilder and Harry K. White. The Temple of Justice is the first building completed on the campus grounds (about 1920). The Legislative Building (pictured above) was completed in 1928 and houses the Washington State Legislature as well as the offices of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, and Treasurer.

ORIGIN OF STATE NAME: Named after George Washington


STATE MOTTO: Alki (Bye and Bye)

1889 PREAMBLE: We the People of the State of Washington, grateful to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution.

ADDRESS:  416 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia, WA 98504


Duane Deering
And The Washington State Capitol
Photo: Duane Deering 2011

Old State Capitol Building

Completed: 1892

Photo: Robert Deering 9/4/2011

After Olympia became capital city of the Washington Territory in 1853, a two-story wood-frame building was constructed on 12 acres of land in Olympia.  The legislature first met there in 1854.  Later, the state purchased an existing Thurston County Courthouse in downtown Olympia, and the legislature began meeting there in 1905.  Now known as the "Old Capitol," the building still houses some state offices.  A fire in 1928 resulted in the loss of the central tower. 

ADDRESS: 600 Washington St SE, Olympia, WA 98504

1854 Capitol Building

1905 Capitol Building
Before 1928 Fire