Kentucky State Capitol

Completed: 1910
Architect: Frank Mills Andrews

Photo: Robert Deering 10/20/2012

Architect Andrews design was reminiscent of the massive buildings and palaces found in France. The exterior of the building boasts four porticos created by seventy Ionic columns, each weighing approximately eighteen tons, being 27' 10" high. The pediment, designed by C.H. Niehous and sculpted by Austrian P. Rossak and costing $40,000, depicts Lady Kentucky surrounded by "Progress," "Plenty," "Art," and "Agriculture." Materials used for the building include limestone from Bedford, Indiana and Vermont granite.

ORIGIN OF STATE NAME: Based on the Iroquois Indian word "Ken-tah-ten," meaning "land of tomorrow"


STATE MOTTO: United we stand, divided we fall

1891 PREAMBLE: We, the people of the Commonwealth are grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties...

ADDRESS: 700 Capital Avenue Bay, Frankfort, KY 40601


Old Capitol Building

Completed: 1829
Architect: Gideon Shyrock

Photo: Robert Deering 10/20/2012

The Old State Capitol, also known as Old Statehouse, was the third Capitol of Kentucky. The building in Frankfort, Kentucky served as the capitol of the Commonwealth of Kentucky from 1830 to 1910. The building has been restored to its American Civil War era appearance, and has served as the a museum and the home of the Kentucky Historical Society since 1920.

The Kentucky legislature voted for its construction in 1827. The building was designed in the Greek Revival style by Gideon Shryock, an early Lexington, Kentucky architect. The Old State Capitol was his first building and he was only twenty-five years old. Shryock chose the Greek Revival style to symbolically link Kentucky, a young republic, with ancient Greece, the prototype of popular democratic government. He wanted the front of the building to duplicate the Temple of Minerva Polias at Priene. Greek temples had no windows, therefore the front of the Capitol is devoid of fenestration. Other striking architectural features include a famous self-supporting stone stairway and a domed lantern above it to bring in an abundance of sunlight.

ADDRESS:  300 W Broadway St, Frankfort, KY 40601