Delaware State Capitol


Completed: 1933
Architect: William Martin

Photo: Robert Deering 2/5/2006

The Legislative Hall was completed in 1933 and enlarged in 1970 and 1996. A major interior rennovation was completed in 1997. The historic State House was completed in 1792 and restored in 1976.

ORIGIN OF STATE NAME: Named after an early Virginia governor, Lord De La Warr.


STATE MOTTO: Liberty and Independence

1897 PREAMBLE: Through Divine Goodness all men have, by nature, the rights of worshipping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences.

ADDRESS:  411 Legislative Ave., Dover, DE 19901


 Old Capitol Building

Completed: 1791

Photo: Robert Deering 2/5/2006

The Old State House was the first permanent capitol building in Dover, Delaware. Begun in 1787 and completed by May 1791, this Georgian-style structure was originally home to both state and Kent County governments.

Located on the historic Green in Dover, the Old State House has served as a focal point in the state's civic life for over two centuries and continues to hold a special place in the eyes of Delawareans and visitors alike.

ADDRESS: 25 The Green, Dover, DE 19901


 Old Capitol Building

New Castle
Completed: 1732

Stock Photo

Opened in 1732, the historic building here served as the seat of Delaware’s colonial government and later state government until 1777, when Dover became the capitol. The building underwent further expansions over the next century, and served as the county courthouse until 1882. The Old New Castle Court House is now a National Historic Landmark and museum. Local officials hold an occasional court session there to maintain the claim that it is the oldest continuously used judicial building in the U.S.

ADDRESS:  211 Delaware St., New Castle, DE 19720