Thurston County Courthouse
Olympia, Washington
 Completed - 1930
Architect - Joseph Wohleb
Photos: Robert Deering 9/4/2011

1892 Courthouse

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1852 from Lewis County

Samuel Thurston (1815–1851), the Oregon Territory's first delegate to U.S. Congress.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: In 1853 the town settled on the name Olympia, at the suggestion of local resident Colonel Isaac N. Ebey, due to its view of the Olympic Mountains to the northwest.

 1892 Courthouse, which was sold to the state and bacame the second State Capitol in 1905; 1930 Courthouse, which currently houses some state offices; In 1978 a new county complex was constructed, which consists of three buildings located at 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW.



Thurston County Courthouse
Olympia, Washington
Completed: 1892

Photo: Robert Deering 9/4/2011

After Olympia became capital city of the Washington Territory in 1853, a two-story wood-frame building was constructed on 12 acres of land in Olympia.  The legislature first met there in 1854.  Later, the state purchased the 1892 Thurston County Courthouse in downtown Olympia, and the legislature began meeting there in 1905.  Now known as the "Old Capitol," the building still houses some state offices.  A fire in 1928 resulted in the loss of the central tower. 

ADDRESS: 600 Washington St SE, Olympia, WA 98504

1892 Courthouse Building
Before 1928 Fire

Olympia, Wasington
Photos: Robert Deering

Washington State Capitol in Olympia