COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1850
COUNTY NAMED FOR: George T. Wood, governor of Texas from 1847 to 1849.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
John A. Quitman, a governor of Mississippi and a prominent figure in the Mexican War.
COURTHOUSES: Four -1851, 1854,
1883, and 1925.
STANDING: One -1925 Classical Revival couthouse built of brick. An addition was built in 1949, and remodeling projects were completed in 1976, 1979, and 1981.