COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Brothers
William H. and
John A. Wharton.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1848, 1852, and 1889.
STANDING: One -1889 structure originally designed in the Second Empire style, but remodeled as a Moderne building in 1935. Additions were made in 1949. However, restoration of this courthouse back to it's original 1889 configuration was completed in 2007.
RENOVATION: Complete -
Rededication August 4, 2007. Restoration
included the demolition of the 1940s additions that
had surrounded the building resulting in a fully
restored exterior, including a replicated clock