COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: President John Tyler.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
George T. Wood, who introduced the bill to establish the county and was the second governor of the state of Texas.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 184?, 1856,
STANDING: One - 1891 courthouse that was originally an Italianate design. The building was substantially remodeled into a Modern style in 1937.