Tom Green County Courthouse
San Angelo, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1928
Architect - Anton F. Korn
Photos: Robert Deering 1/25/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1875

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Confederate Brig. Gen. Thomas Green.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Ben Ficklin and San Angelo

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: There are several stories as to how the town was named, including one in which it was named for the sister-in-law of Bartholomew (Bart) J. DeWitt, the founder of San Angelo, who was a nun in San Antonio. A local historian found that DeWitt named the town in memory of his wife, Carolina Angela, who died in 1866. The name had changed to San Angela by 1883, when application was made for a post office. The proposed name of San Angela was rejected because of the ungrammatical construction. The name should be Santa Angela or San Angelo. The latter was chosen

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1876 and 1882 in Ben Ficklin; 1885 and 1928 in San Angelo.

STANDING: One - 1928 Classical Revival courthouse built of brick and stone.

 
 
 
1882 Courthouse in Ben Ficklin
 

1885 Courthouse in San Angelo
 

1928 Courthouse in San Angelo

 

San Angelo, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 1/25/2004

 
San Angelo City Hall
Completed - 1928