Swisher County Courthouse
Tulia, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1909
Architect - Elmer George Withers
Photos: Robert Deering 4/4/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1890

COUNTY NAMED FOR: James Gibson Swisher, a veteran of the Texas Revolution.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Tulia

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Evidently the name Tule, after the nearby creek, had been selected, but at some point a clerk's error changed the name to Tulia.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1890 and 1909

STANDING: Originally a Renaissance Revival stucture, the 1909 courthouse was covered with a Modern-style brick veneer in a 1962 remodeling project.

 
 
 
1890 Courthouse
 
1909 Courthouse
Before Modifications
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Tulia, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 4/4/2005

 
First Baptist Church of Tulia