COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1852
COUNTY NAMED FOR: An orange grove planted by early settlers at the mouth of the
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The community of Orange was originally called Green's Bluff for Resin (or Reason),
for a Sabine River boatman who arrived there sometime before 1830. The town was renamed Madison in 1840 in honor of President James Madison. It obtained a post office in 1850 and became the county seat upon the organization of Orange County. To avoid confusion with the community of Madisonville, the town was renamed again when it incorporated in 1858.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1853,
STANDING: One -1937 Modern courthouse built of brick, limestone, and marble, with a 1960 additions.