COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1885
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Its location halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso on the Texas and Pacific Railway.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county. The town was originally known as Midway, but because other towns in Texas were already named Midway, the site was renamed Midland to get the post office established.
COURTHOUSES: Three -
STANDING: One - 1930 courthouse was orginally an Art Deco design. The building was remodeled by Dixon and Staley in 1974 into a Modern structure.