McMullen County Courthouse
Tilden, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1930
Architect -  W. C. Stephenson
Photos: Robert Deering 9/4/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1877

COUNTY NAMED FOR: John McMullen, an Irish empresario

COUNTY SEATS: One - Dog Town, which was renamed Tilden.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The town was probably named for Samuel J. (Whispering Sammy) Tilden, the unsuccessful Democratic presidential candidate in the election of 1876.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 187? and 1930

STANDING:  One - 1930 courthouse, with Classical Revival elements, built of brick.

ADDRESS:  501 River Street, Tilden, Texas

 
 
1930 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939