Leon County Courthouse
Centerville, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1886
Architect - William Johnson
Photos: Robert Deering 1/29/2004
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846

COUNTY NAMED FOR: The naming of the county is the subject of much controversy. Some maintain that it was named for Martín De León, founder of Victoria. However, many residents insist that the name ("lion" in Spanish) came from the nickname of a yellow wolf of the region commonly called the león.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Leona and Centerville

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Its location in the county.

COURTHOUSES: Three - 1850, 1858, and 1886.

STANDING: One -1886 Renaissance Revival building of brick with cast-iron columns.

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication July 1, 2007.

 
 

1886 Courthouse
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
1886 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1974
 

Courthouse Annexes
 
 
 
 
 
 



1887 Leon County Jail

1913 Leon County Jail

 

Centerville, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 1/29/2004

 
First Baptist Church of Centerville