Deaf Smith County Courthouse
Hereford, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1910
Architect - Chamberlin & Co.
Photos: Robert Deering 4/3/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1890

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Erastus "Deaf" Smith, a famous scout of the Texas Revolution.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - La Plata (Grenada) and Hereford.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: After the Hereford cattle brought to the area by local ranchers.

COURTHOUSES: Three - 1890 in La Plata; 1899 and 1910 in Hereford

STANDING: One - 1910 Classical Revival courthouse built of marble.

 
 
 
1890 Courthouse in La Plata
 
 
1899 Courthouse in Hereford