COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1846
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Lewis Cass, a United States Senator from Michigan who had favored the annexation of Texas.
Jefferson (now in Marion County) and
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:
The townsite was laid out by a Major Wood, who named it for his former home in Linden, Tennessee.
Three - Jefferson in 1846; Linden in 1853 and 1865.
STANDING: One - 1865 Classical Revival courthouse built of brick.
RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication
February 18, 2012.
With the elemination of most additions and
alterations, the builduing now appears as it did in 1934.
Structural changes made over the years makes it imposisble
to return the courthouse to its 1865 configuration.
100 E Houston St, Linden, TX 75563