Cameron County Courthouse
Brownsville, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1978
Architect - Swanson, Hiester, Wilson, & Claycomb
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1848

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Ewen Cameron of the Texas Revolution and the infamous Black Bean Affair of the Meir Expedition. Cameron was shot by Santa Anna on the way to Mexico in 1843.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Brownsville

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  Brownsville is named for Maj. Jacob Brown who died while defending the fort in the early days of the Mexican War.

COURTHOUSES: Three - 1883, 1912, and 1978.

STANDING:  Three-

  • The 1883 courthouse has served as a Masonic Lodge since 1914. The original cupola and other roof elements were destroyed by a 1933 hurricane. 
  • The 1912 courthouse is a Texas Renaissance structure with Classical Revival elements.
  • The 1978 building is a contemporary design made of concrete.

ADDRESS:  964 E. Harrison, Brownsville, Texas

 
 
 
1883 Courthouse
 
 
1912 Courthouse

 

Cameron County Courthouse
Brownsville, Texas

 
 Completed - 1912
Architect - Atlee B. Ayres
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005

RENOVATION: Complete - Rededication October 17, 2006

ADDRESS:
  1150 E Madison, Brownsville, Texas

 
   

 
1912 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1974

 

Cameron County Courthouse
Brownsville, Texas

 
 Completed - 1883
Architect - J. N. Preston & Son
Photos: Robert Deering 9/3/2005

ADDRESS:  1131 E Jefferson, Brownsville, Texas

     

 
1883 Courthouse
Original Configuration