Logan County Courthouse
Guthrie, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 Completed - 1907
Architect - P. H. Weathers
Photos: Robert Deering 4/11/2013
 
 

1907 Courthouse
 
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: Logan County was created as County One by the Organic Act of 1890. The town of Guthrie was designated as the county seat and the capital of Oklahoma Territory.

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
John Alexander Logan, soldier, statesman, Illinois Senator, and presidential candidate.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  Guthrie originated in 1887 as a railroad station called Deer Creek on the Southern Kansas Railway (later acquired by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) from the Kansas–Oklahoma border to Purcell. The name was later changed to Guthrie, named for jurist John Guthrie of Topeka, Kansas.

STANDING:
 1907 structure that first served as the State Capitol building from 1907 - 1910 before the State Seal was moved to Oklahoma City.

ADDRESS: 301 E. Harrison, Guthrie, Oklahoma

 

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Photos: Robert Deering 4/11/2013

Guthrie has one of the largest collections of preserved late 19th - early 20th century buildings in the country.

Guthrie City Hall

Historic Carnegie Library - Built in 1902
Now Serves as the Oklahoma Territorial Museum

Guthrie Post Office

Scottish Rite Masonic Temple
Built in 1919

State Capital Company - Built in 1902
Housed First Newspaper in Oklahoma Territory
Now Serves as a Printing Museum

First United Methodist Church

First Baptist Church

Trinity Episcopal Church

First United Presbyterian Church