Ellis County Courthouse
Arnett, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1912
Architect - W. M. Rice
Photos: Robert Deering 4/21/2006
 
 
 
1912 Courthouse
Undated Photo
 
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1907 from Day and Woodward Counties, Oklahoma Territory.

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
Albert H. Ellis, vice-president of the Constitutional Convention.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: A. S. Arnett, a minister of Fayetteville, West Virginia. The name was chosen by the town's first postmaster in 1902.

COURTHOUSES:

STANDING:
 1912 brick courthouse that has been modified over the years. 

ADDRESS:  100 S Washington Street, Arnett, Oklahoma




This log cabin was the first home to be built in the former Day County, Oklahoma Territory, in 1893. Asa Derrick built the house for Tom Black, and it was located on Turkey Creek at the foot of Joe Pyle Canyon southeast of Arnett.  It was used as a house until 1943.  The building was moved to its present location on Courthouse Square in Arnett in 1970.