Adair County Courthouse
Stilwell, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1930
Architect - J. J. Harrelson
Photos: Robert Deering 4/23/2006
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1906 from Goingsnake and Flint Districts of the Cherokee Nation. 

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
A well known Cherokee family.

COUNTY SEATS:
Two - Westville and Stilwell.  When the county was formed, Westville was identified as the county seat, due in part to its location at the intersection of the Kansas City Southern Railway and the St. Louis - San Francisco Railway.  The county seat was moved to Stilwell in 1910.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Formerly named Flint.  Post Office name changed to Stilwell on May 12, 1896.  Named for Arthur Stilwell, noted philanthropist and founder of the Kansas City Southern Railway.

COURTHOUSES: Four - 1902, 1908, 1920, and 1930

STANDING:
 One - 1930 Art Deco building made of limestone, steel, and concrete.

"This classically-inspired art deco building was constructed in 1930 and designed by J.J. Harrelson. The low-relief ornamentation includes sunbursts and scrolls combined with indians in full headdress. Listed in national register 8/23/84."  Coutesy of Exploring Oklahoma History.

ADDRESS:  210 W Division, Stilwell, Oklahoma

 

Stilwell, Oklahoma
Photo: Robert Deering 4/23/2006


U. S. Post Office in Stilwell