COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1812.
COUNTY NAMED FOR:
French King Louis IX, known as Saint Louis.
COUNTY SEATS: The City of St. Louis was the original
county seat. However, the City seceded
from St. Louis County in March 1877, allowing it to become an
independent city and limiting its political boundaries. Clayton is
an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Ralph
Clayton, who donated the land for the courthouse.
- 1864 Courthouse that is now part of the
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial that includes the Gateway
Arch. The corner stone was laid in 1839 but redesign
efforts in 1851 and 1861delayed completion until 1864. In 1877
the city of St. Louis split from the county and the building became
city property at that time.
- 1945 Courthouse in Clayton that now serves as the County Police
- 1971 County Government plaza and modern six-story courthouse in