Jefferson County Courthouse
Hillsboro, Missouri
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1863
Architect - Charles H. Pond
Photos: Robert Deering 11/7/2002
 
 

 
 
1863 Courthouse
With 1893 Addition
 
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1818

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
President Thomas Jefferson

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Hillsboro is the English equivalent of the Italian Monticello, home of President Thomas Jefferson. The founders of Jefferson County had hoped to use the name of the home of their county's namesake for the county seat, but that honor in Missouri had already been taken by Monticello in Lewis County.

STANDING:
 1863 Courthouse that has been transformed by remodeling projects and addtions completed in 1893, 1954, and 1975.