COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1777, one of Georgia's
original 7 counties.
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The
county was named to recognize the American colonies' declaration
of independence from British rule.
Sunbury (1784 - 1797), Richborough
(1797 - 1837), Hinesville (1837 - Present).
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Charlton
Hines, who introduced legislation to establish a new county seat
that was more centrally located and accessable to the nearby
railroad. The new county seat was named Hinesville in his
STANDING: 1826 Neoclassical Revival courthouse with
1964 additions on each end, and a new modern building with
- 1926 Courthouse - 100 Main Street
- New Courthouse - 201 Main Street