COUNTY ORGANIZED: February 5,
1777, one of the original Georgia counties.
COUNTY NAMED FOR: William
Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Savannah
was named for the Savannah River, which probably derives from
variant names for the Shawnee, a Native American people who
migrated to the river in the 1680s.
1889 brick structure now used as an Administrative
Legislative Center, and 1978 mondern building.
- 1889 Courthouse - 124 Bull Street
- 1978 Courthouse - 133 Montgomery Street