Miller County Courthouse
Texarkana, Arkansas
 Completed - 1939
Architect - E. C. Siebert
Photo: Robert Deering 6/16/2014

1893 Courthouse

COUNTY ORGANIZED: Miller County was originally created in 1820 and included most of the current Miller County as well as most of what are now counties in Texas: Bowie, Red River, Lamar, Fannin, Cass, Morris, Titus, Franklin, Hopkins, Delta, and Hunt. In 1831 the county seat was located what is the current day Clarksville, Texas. When Arkansas achieved statehood the same year Texas declared itself an independent republic in 1836 a dispute over the common border arose, with the area in Miller County having representation in both the Arkansas legislature and the Texas congress. In 1837 and 1838, Texas organized Red River and Fannin counties, respectively, in the area. Arkansas attempted to counter by making it a misdemeanor for Miller County residents to hold office in Texas, and then by establishing a county court in Fannin. The attempts were ultimately unsuccessful, and in 1845 Texas was annexed by the United States, settling the boundary between Texas and Arkansas. As much of Miller County was lost to Texas, the county was dissolved with the remaining territory returning to Lafayette County.  The modern Miller County was re-created in 1874 from the parts of Lafayette County lying west and south of the Red River.

James Miller, the first governor of the Arkansas Territory

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: It is not known who gave Texarkana its name. A popular story credits Colonel Gus Knobel, who surveyed the Iron Mountain Railroad right-of-way from Little Rock to this section to the state line. He allegedly painted "TEX-ARK-ANA" on a plank and nailed it to a tree, saying, "This is the name of a town which is to be built here."

 1939 Courthouse made of stone and concrete.

LOCATION: 400 Laurel St, Texarkana, AR 71854