Carroll County Courthouse
Eastern District
Berryville, Arkansas
 
 
     
 
 
Former Eastern District Courthouse in Berryville
 Completed - 1880
Architect - R. H. Jones
Photos: Robert Deering 7/7/2002
 
 
 
 

1880 Courthouse in Berryville
 

Western District Courthouse
In Eureka Springs

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1833

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who had died in 1832 and was the last survivor of those who had signed the United States Declaration of Independence.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: 

  • Berryville - Berryville was founded by local settler Blackburn Henderson Berry in 1850; his nephew James Henderson Berry would become the fourteenth Governor of Arkansas in 1883.
  • Eureka Springs - For the local springs in the area that Native Americans and settlers alike believed had healing powers. 

COUNTY SEATS: The county has the unusual distinction of two county seats (Eureka Springs and Berryville) due to the seasonal swelling of the Kings River, which divides the county in a nearly vertical line. Historically, this made the river non-navigable and severed the county in two. Modern bridges solved this problem long ago, but the twin county seat solution has persisted until today.

STANDING:
 

  • Berryville - 1880 brick courthouse now serves as a museum.  The current county courthouse is locted in a former Electric Coop building that was remodeled in 1975.  
  • Eureka Springs - 1908 courthouse built with stone.  The building is shared with the City of Eureka Springs.

 

Carroll County Courthouse
Western District
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

 
Completed - 1908
Architect - W. O. Perkins & Sons
Photos: Robert Deering 7/7/2002

     

1908 Courthouse
Undated Photo