Model B Flyer
Photo: Robert Deering 10/18/2012
National Museum of the USAF
This Model B Flyer
became the first model produced in quantity
by the Wright brothers. It is representative
of Signal Corps Airplanes Nos. 3 and 4,
purchased by the Army in 1911 and used for
training pilots and in aerial experiments.
The museum's aircraft is a modified version of the Wright B Flyer. The major modifications of this airplane are the installation of an eight-cylinder Rausenberger engine in place of the original four-cylinder Wright engine and the addition of ailerons on the trailing edges of the wings in place of the Wrights' wing warping design.
Mr. Howard Rinehart at Mineola, N.Y., used this airplane for flight instruction in 1916. In 1924 at the International Air Races at Dayton, Ohio, Lt. John A. Macready of the U.S. Army Air Service became the last person to fly it.
The aircraft is on loan to the National Museum of the United States Air Force from the Air Force Museum Foundation.
Engine: Eight-cylinder Rausenberger of 75 hp
Maximum speed: 45 mph
Maximum endurance: 2 hours
Span: 39 ft.
Length: 28 ft.
Height: 8 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 1,400 lbs. loaded
Source: National Museum of the United States Air Force