Van Zandt County Courthouse
Canton, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1936
Architect - Voelcker & Dixon
Photos: Robert Deering 9/1/2001
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1848

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Issac Van Zandt, lawyer, legislator, and diplomat.

COUNTY SEATS: Two - Jordan`s Saline and Canton.

COUNT SEAT NAMED FOR: The town was named by settlers moving from Old Canton in Smith County.

COURTHOUSES: Five - 1848 in Jordan`s Saline; 1850, 1857, 1896, and 1936 in Canton.

STANDING: One - 1936 Modern brick courthouse.

 
 
 
 
1896 Courthouse
 

1936 Courthouse
Photo: ca1939