Scurry County Courthouse
Snyder, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1909
Architect - Lang & Witchell
Photosw: Robert Deering 4/5/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1884

COUNTY NAMED FOR: William R. Scurry, a Confederate general.

COUNTY SEATS: One - Snyder

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: William Henry (Pete) Snyder, a buffalo hunter and trader.

COURTHOUSES: Two - 1886 and 1909.

STANDING: One - 1909 courthouse originally a Texas Renaissance design built of brick. A 1972 remodeling buried the 1909 building in slabs of granite giving it a Modern look. The architect of the 1972 project was Joseph D. Hinton.

 
 
 
1909 Courthouse
Before Modifications
 
1909 Courthouse
Photo: Robert Deering 1975
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Courthouse Square
Photo: 11/4/2016

 

Snyder, Texas
Photo: Robert Deering 4/5/2005

 
First Baptist Church of Snyder