COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1856
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The town of San Saba.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: The
San Saba River. In 1732 Juan Antonio Bustillo y Ceballos, governor of Spanish Texas, led a group of soldiers west of the Colorado River and discovered a stream that he named Río de San Sabá de las Nueces. It has been suggested that he chose the name because he and his party reached the river on the day of St. Sabbás, a sixth-century monk.
COURTHOUSES: Three - 1857, 1878, and 1911.
STANDING: One - 1911 Texas Renaissance
courthouse built of brick and sandstone.