Robertson County Courthouse
Franklin, Texas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1883
Architect -  F. E. Ruffini
Photos: Robert Deering 12/29/2005
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1837

COUNTY NAMED FOR: Sterling Robertson

COUNTY SEATS: Five - (Old) Franklin, Wheelock, Owensville, Calvert, Morgan (renamed Franklin)

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:

COURTHOUSES: Five - 1837 (Old Franklin), 1850 (Wheelock), 1866 (Owensville), 1879 (Calvert ), 1883 (Franklin).

STANDING: Two -

  • 1879 brick courthouse was begun in 1875, but wasn't finished before county seat was moved to Franklin in 1879. The building was initially converted into a hotel. In 1885 it was sold to the Robert A. Brown family who used it as a private residence until 1909 when it was sold to Fannie L. Hammond. The Hammond family continued to use the building as a private residence until 1966 when it was turned into a museum. In 1995, it was sold back to the Hammond family and it is being used as the Hammond House Bed and Breakfast lodging in 2009.
  • 1883 Second Empire courthouse was remodeled in 1924 resulting in the removal of the Mansard roof and towers, and a Mission style cap was added. In 1974 additional alterations and a building addition were completed.
 
 
 
1879 Courthouse in Calvert
 
1883 Courthouse in Franklin
Before Modifications
 
 
1883 Courthouse in Franklin
After Modifications
Photo: Texas DoT 1939
 
 
1883 Courthouse in Franklin
Photo: Robert Deering 1974
 

 

Robertson County Courthouse
Calvert, Texas

 
 Completed - 1879
Architect -
Photos: Robert Deering 1/31/2009

         

 

Calvert, Texas
Photos: Robert Deering 1/31/2009

 
First Baptist Church of Calvert