COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1836
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The Spanish mission De Nuestra Senora Del Refugio (The Mission of Our Lady of Refugio) established in the area in 1795.
COUNTY SEATS: One -
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Same as the county.
COURTHOUSES: Five - 1837, 1850, 1874, 1880, 1919. The mission De Nuestra Senora Del Refugio served as Refugio County`s Courthouse at various times from 1837 to 1848. Construction of a permanent courthouse began about 1850. The one-story courthouse, made from shell concrete and cypress lumber, was enlarged to a two-story structure in the late 1850`s.
STANDING: One - 1917 Texas Renaissance building with wings added during the 1950's.