COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1856
COUNTY NAMED FOR: The Live Oak Trees in the area.
Two - Oakville and George West.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: George Washington West, who established his ranch in Live Oak County.
Three - 1857 in Oakville; 1888 and 1919 in George West.
STANDING: One -1919 Texas Renaissance
courthouse of brick and concrete, with Corinthian columns. A modern annex by Wyatt Hedrick was completed in 1956.
The 1857 courthouse in Oakville was demolished in
1941. However, the county jail in Oakville,
built in 1887, still stands and was restored around