COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1882
COUNTY NAMED FOR: Volney Erskine Howard, a United States congressman from Texas in the 1840s and 1850s.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: It derives its name from the nearby "big spring" in Sulphur Draw, which was a watering place for coyotes, wolves, herds of buffalo, antelope, and mustangs; the spring was a source of conflict between Comanche and Shawnee Indians and a campsite used by early expeditions across West Texas.
Three - 1884,
1908, and 1953
STANDING: One - 1953 Modern courthouse built of brick, tile, and concrete.