Payne County Courthouse
Stillwater, Oklahoma
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1917
Architect - Hair, Tonini, & Bramblet
Photos: Robert Deering 4/23/2006
 
 
 
1895 Courthouse
 
 
1917 Courthouse
 

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1907 from Payne County, Oklahoma Territory.

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
David L. Payne, a central figure in the Boomer movement.

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR:  Stillwater Creek.  According to one legend, local Native American tribes — Ponca, Kiowa, Osage, Pawnee — called the placid, spring-like creek “Still Water” because the water was always still. Another legend states that cattlemen driving herds from Texas to railways back east always found water "still there".  Regardless, the creek received its official name in 1884 when William L. Couch established his “boomer colony” on its banks. 

COURTHOUSES: 1895 and 1917

STANDING:
 1917 Courthouse with 1965 and 2005 additions. 

ADDRESS:  606 S Husband, Stillwater, Oklahoma

 

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Photos: Robert Deering 4/23/2006


First Baptist Church of Stillwater