COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1852
COUNTY NAMED FOR:
Father Louis Hennepin's name was chosen because he
originally named St. Anthony Falls and recorded some of the
earliest accounts of the area for the Western world.
COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Its
name is attributed to the city's first schoolteacher, who
combined mni, a Dakota Sioux word for water, and polis, the Greek word for city.
- The City Hall and Courthouse was built between 1887 and 1906
on the site of the first public schoolhouse west of the
Mississippi River. Hennepin County and the City of
Minneapolis each occupied half of the building. The County
ceremoniously moved in November 11, 1895 and the City
followed on December 15, 1902.
- Hennepin County moved
most operations across the street into its new Government
Center in 1975.