Shawnee County Courthouse
Topeka, Kansas
 
 
     
 
 
 Completed - 1965
Architect - Raymond & Phillip Coolidge
Photos: Robert Deering 6/7/2005
 
 
 
 
1896 Courthouse
Architect - J. C. Holland
 

1965 Courthouse

COUNTY ORGANIZED: 1855

COUNTY NAMED FOR: 
The Shawnee Indians

COUNTY SEAT NAMED FOR: Topeka means "to dig good potatoes" in the languages of the Kansa and the Ioway. The potato referred to is the prairie potato (Psoralea esculenta), a perennial herb which is an important food for many Native Americans. As a placename, Topeka was first recorded in 1826 as the Kansa name for what is now called the Kansas River. Topeka's founders chose the name in 1855 because it "was novel, of Indian origin and euphonious of sound."  The mixed-blood Kansa Indian, Joseph James, called Jojim, is credited with suggesting the name of Topeka.

COURTHOUSES:

STANDING:
 1965 Modern structure.