Focke Wulf
  Home  
Fw 190
#

Fw 190 F-8
Photo: Robert Deering 10/23/2006
National Air and Space Museum
Chantilly, Virginia

Fw 190 D-9
Photo: Robert Deering 10/18/2012

National Museum of the USAF
Dayton, Ohio

Fw 190 F-8
Photo: Robert Deering 10/23/2006
National Air and Space Museum
Chantilly, Virginia
 
Nicknamed the Würger (Butcher Bird), the Fw 190 entered service in 1941 and flew throughout World War II on all fronts. It was the only German single-seat fighter powered by a radial engine and the only fighter of the war with electrically operated landing gear and flaps. Some served as fighter-bombers with ground attack units, but the Fw 190 is best known for defending against Allied daylight bombing attacks.

This Fw 190 F-8 (Air Force Museum) was originally manufactured as an Fw 190 A-7 fighter. During 1944 it was remanufactured as a fighter-bomber and issued to ground attack unit SG 2. After Germany's surrender it was shipped to Freeman Field, Indiana, then transferred to the Smithsonian in 1949. Its 1980-83 restoration revealed a succession of color schemes. It now appears as it did while serving with SG 2 in 1944.

Dimensions:
Wingspan: 10.5 m (34 ft 6 in)
Length: 9 m (29 ft 6 in)
Height: 4 m (13 ft)
Weight, empty: 3,060 kg (6,750 lb)
Weight, gross: 4,865 kg (10,725 lb)
Top speed: 644 km/h (400 mph)

Source: Smithsonian Air & Space Museum