Fairchild
C-119
Flying Boxcar
Previous U.S. MILITARY Next

Photo: Robert Deering
Pate Museum of Transportation
Cresson, Texas
The C-119, developed from the World War II Fairchild C-82, was designed to carry cargo, personnel, litter patients and mechanized equipment, and to drop cargo and troops by parachute. The first C-119 made its initial flight in November 1947, and by the time production ceased in 1955, more than 1,100 C-119s had been built. The USAF used the airplane extensively during the Korean War and many were supplied to the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps and to the air forces of Canada, Belgium, Italy and India. In South Vietnam, the airplane once again entered combat, this time in a ground support role as AC-119 gunships mounting side-firing weapons capable of firing up to 6,000 rounds per minute per gun.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
Armament: None
Engines: Two Wright R-3350s of 3,500 hp each
Maximum speed: 290 mph
Cruising speed: 200 mph
Range: 2,000 miles
Service ceiling: 30,000 ft.
Span: 109 ft. 3 1/4 in.
Length: 86 ft. 5 3/4 in.
Height: 26 ft. 7 3/4 in.
Weight: 66,900 lbs. maximum

Source: National Museum of the United States Air Force